Ever since Daniel and I got married I have been thinking about switching to a Math Education major instead of Mathematics. I've always wanted to teach, so when I first went into Mathematics I was thinking of going to grad school, but then we got married and I started looking for other things to do with my Mathematics major, but nothing I looked into was very interesting to me. So finally after after almost a year of marriage, and a year of looking for other things to do with my life, I finally decided that I still wanted to teach.
So once this past semester ended I decided to meet with a Math Education adviser. Well, as I was going to meet with the adviser I remembered that BYU made a new rule a year or two ago that said you can't switch your major after a certain about of credits, so that made me a little nervous because I couldn't remember how many credits it was. Well when I got the adviser's office (Dr. Siebert) and we started talking and the first thing I mentioned was the number of credits. He asked me how many I had and I said 96. He cringed and said I most likely wouldn't be able to switch. He said the cut off was 90 (bummer) so if I still wanted to try for the Math Ed major I'd have to put in a pettition to the Deans, and latelly they weren't being very forgiving or open to people changing majors. That made me panik a little. So he and I worked out a schedule for me to petition with that would only add on extra semester to my schooling, then he told me where to go to start the petition process.
When I got to that office (It was the College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences Advisement Center) I got the forms that I needed to fill out and set up an appointment. I filled out the forms while I waited for the apointment. The forms were just why do you want to switch, what's your school layout (graduation plan) if you stay a math major, and what is your graduation plan if you switch. It turned out that I'd only be going one extra semester for Math Ed. I went to my appointment and met with Shane Jorgenson. He looked over my petition to make sure everything was right and that I had all the classes I would need to graduate, and he said, ok, i'll switch it right now. And right there in front of me he made me a Math Ed major! Way eaiser that Dr. Siebert thought it would be. I must have come on a good day or something :)
So now I'm a Math Education major set to graduate with Daniel in Winter 2013 (April 2013). And right after I graduate I'll have my Utah teaching license and hopefully we can stay in Utah for Daniel's physical therapy school, and I can start teaching (if I can find a job), and if we go out of Utah Shane said it wouldn't be too hard to get a teaching license for a different state depending on the state :)
Yay!! I now have a life plan again! And not only do I have a life plan, but Daniel and I have a life plan together :) We're very excited :)
My little sister is looking into math and math education. She's out there with you guys at byu! She's just a freshman, but is one of THOSE that has never had to work for an A in her life...even in college...ugh!
ReplyDeleteAnyway, she said with the two majors you can double count credits and you only have 6 credits left over to make a math degree a math ed degree. I don't know details, but she's talked to her advisers and everything to get it all squared away, so I'd look into it if you still want to! Yay, decisions!!